Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lighter mocha frappuccino

I love Frappuccinos. Not the ones that you get in those little bottles from the grocery store - the real Starbucks ones, with ice and whipped cream. I could drink them every day if I had the money - and the calorie allowance. Their light versions are not too high in calories, but I wondered if I couldn't make something even lighter (and cheaper for that matter). Why not eat the foods you want to? I take it as a kind of personal challenge to make light, yummy versions of my favorite restaurant recipes. All it takes is a little creativity. So I tried it this morning. Here is the recipe:

1 cup double-strong coffee, chilled (put in twice the amount of coffee grounds you normally would when brewing)
1/4 cup light vanilla soymilk
1 single serving of Jell-O sugar-free chocolate pudding
2 packets TruVia or Splenda
The contents of one whole ice tray

Place all ingredients into the blender. Blend, using an ice-crush setting, if available. Blend until ice is smooth and few to no large chunks remain, about 30 seconds-1 minute. Optional: top with 2 tbsp light whipped cream and enjoy!

Calories, without whipped cream: 77.5. Fat: 1.5g
vs. Starbucks 16oz. light mocha frappuccino, calories: 140. Fat: 1g

Calories, with whipped cream: 110.5. Fat: 1.5g
vs. Starbucks 16oz. light mocha frappuccino with whip, calories: 250. Fat: 5g.

No comments:

Post a Comment