Friday, August 5, 2011

Microwave baked tortilla chips

Here's the recipe I was talking about in my previous post. This can also be done with a potato instead of corn tortillas.

2 small corn tortillas - I used Pepito brand
1 tsp olive oil
Sea salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Using a knife, cut the tortillas into triangles. Grab a small Ziploc bag, hold it open, and shake in the dry seasoning. Add the olive oil. Place the corn tortilla pieces into the bag and close the bag well. Shake until the tortilla pieces are coated with olive oil and seasoning. Line a microwave-safe plate or dish with wax or parchment paper. Place the tortilla pieces on the lined dish so that they don't touch each other. Put in the microwave on a normal setting for 2 minutes. Using an oven mitt, rotate the plate and microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the chips are lightly browned. Let cool for 1 minute and enjoy!

130 calories - 5.5g fat

I made these for the first time today. They turned out decently except I put them in the microwave for a tad too long and some of them browned a bit too much for my taste. The cooking times given have been adjusted for what I learned in the trial. Also, I didn't put enough seasoning in for my taste - this is because I put the olive oil in the bag first and the sides of the bag stuck to each other. I will try these without the olive oil for an even lighter snack and update on the result. I could use water or lemon juice t get the seasoning to stick to the chips.

Here are some suggestions for additional seasoning combos. Haven't tried them yet so I'm not officially endorsing:
BBQ: Salt, garlic powder, paprika, mild chili powder
India-inspired: Salt, garlic powder, Allspice, cumin
Dessert: Calorie-free sweetener like Splenda or TruVia, cinnamon
Herb: Salt, garlic powder, thyme, basil
Asian-inspired: Garlic powder, soy sauce, Sesame seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment