Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The old itch is back again

Yes, as the title suggests, the old itch is back again. It's one I've had since maybe fourth or fifth grade and has been dormant - but not gone - since sophomore year of high school. I'm going to be a college sophomore now. It's the need to ride...a horse. Yes, I was one of those horse-crazy little girls, but unlike most girls, I never grew out of it. I took riding lessons in 7th and 8th grade (2 years) then quit because with high school marching band, I wouldn't have had enough time. Also, I was afraid I'd never be an advanced rider.

But now I don't have that commitment to be super-involved in music anymore, and I'm sure as heck not going to do college marching band. I'm not much into the traditional (high-stepping) marching style. When I was searching for college clubs to join, I saw that there's an equestrian team. But it's expensive - $480 per semester, and my parents won't pay for it all, so I gave that up pretty quickly. No way I can swing a cost like that! Not on my minimum-wage part-time summer job budget. But today I went to a local tack shop just for fun, and was surrounded by all the things I chose to give up once, almost 6 years ago. And now I have the opportunity again. How can I pass it up? No, I'm never going to be an Olympic rider. But now I've realized that I don't have to be the best at anything to enjoy it. If I'd have realized that sooner, maybe I'd still have the desire to play saxophone. And I'd have to make sacrifices to save up the money for my parents to let me be on the team. But what would I rather have, a couple Starbucks Frappuccinos and some new shirts, or a semester of horseback riding? I don't even have to think to answer that. I want to ride again. What am I waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment