Friday, August 5, 2011

Saving it for the carnival

A trip to Costco can yield either great snacking/meal options...or terrible ones. Here's an example of what I mean. My dad, a member, and I went last Wednesday night to pick up some food for my dorm. We ended up with a box of 50 individual 100-calorie-pack cookies (a variety that included Lorna Doone shortbread cookies, Chips Ahoy, and another kind I can't remember), a box of 50 individual 100-calorie Chewy bars, huge containers of fresh strawberries and blueberries, peanuts, and, my favorite, dark chocolate-covered acai berries. Holy antioxidants, Batman. But we also ended up with 3 large DiGiorno frozen pepperoni pizzas, a huge wheel of brie, and Haagen-Dazs ice cream bars.

Today I once again faced the task of choosing what to eat for lunch. I thought of the pizzas. Pop one in the oven and pizza's ready in 18 minutes. But I'm going to a carnival this evening with some friends, and I'll be eating dinner there. The food there will NOT be healthy; even if they do have a salad, I probably won't like it, and it will be loaded with crispy chicken, croutons, and ranch dressing. So I had to save my calories. Not to mention I'm not feeling that great - my pollen allergies gave me a stuffed-up nose, not enough sleep, and a headache. So heavy, greasy food was out of the question. I grabbed a Velveeta single-serving mac and cheese with reduced fat and calories, about 6 large fresh strawberries and...I made my own tortilla chips from corn tortillas we had in the fridge, a tiny bit of olive oil, and some salt, cracked pepper, and garlic powder. I'll post the recipe and details once I upload a photo. I finished it off with a very small handful of those chocolate-covered acai berries - for some reason, I like to have something sweet after meals - and of course, some ice-cold water. (I read online that vocalists shouldn't drink their water cold, but that's the only way I like it. Plus, I think my plant allergies are hurting my voice a lot more than ice water will.) The whole lunch was about 350 calories and 9g fat, leaving me plenty of room for the carnival after a breakfast of banana nut cheerios. Funny, I feel more awake and energetic after that lunch than I did after my morning coffee. Those allergies will take it out of you.

2 comments:

  1. Costco gets me everytime ;) I really do like their fresh produce and seafood departments though! As long as I can make it out of the 'snack' sections up front without anything!

    Sounds like you made some good choices, and personally I would include the brie to be one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, exactly, as long as I don't eat too much of the brie at once!

    ReplyDelete